CAMAF has partnered with the Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology (CDE), which specialises in the management of Diabetes. The Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology was established as an example of excellence in diabetes care. This holistic, multidisciplinary team provides a unified approach to the management of this condition. Their staff includes Diabetes Specialists, Diabetes Educators, Dieticians, Podiatrists, a Clinical Psychologist, Ophthalmologist and Exercise Specialists. Their approach to diabetes care is offered to CAMAF members in the form of the CDE Diabetes Management Programme (DMP), a comprehensive and holistic managed care benefit. The services of the DMP are available nationally from CDE trained and accredited practitioners (GPs and Endocrinologists).
Patient education is vital. Good diabetes control reduces both the incidence of the complications of diabetes (blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, amputation etc) as well as hospitalisation.
As a patient with diabetes it is essential that you are given optimal medical care and education. When you join the Diabetes Management Programme, the following minimum care will be provided annually:
- A minimum of two full examinations by a CDE accredited Doctor annually. Further consultations will be provided according to clinical need;
- A full course in diabetes education, which involves at least 2 x 1 hour individual sessions with a Diabetes Educator. Further sessions with the Diabetes Educator are available should this be deemed necessary by yourself or by the staff at the Centre;
- An initial consultation with a Registered Dietician followed by an annual consultation to discuss any new advances in the dietary management of diabetes. Additional visits to the Dietician can be provided according to clinical need;
- Laboratory tests to assess and monitor diabetes control, kidney function and cholesterol will be performed.
- A visit to the Podiatrist for foot screening and advice at least once a year;
- Ophthalmic screening once per year.
- A 24-hour telephone line, staffed by trained personnel, is available at each Centre to manage any acute problems or urgent queries that might arise
- The cost of all medication and accessories actively used by you to manage your diabetes is covered in full. Quantities are supplied as deemed clinically necessary by your doctor.
- A visit to a Clinical Psychologist can be arranged for counselling.
- A consultation with an Exercise Physiologist (Biokineticist) can be arranged where your fitness level will be assessed and an appropriate exercise programme prescribed.
These services are free of charge, should you have been diagnosed with Diabetes.
- Telephone 0861 700 600
Fax 0861 113 676
Wedgefield Office Park
17 Muswell Road South
PO Box 2964